Monday, July 23, 2012

Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

This week has been nuts! In a good way. At this moment I am very very sore from gardening. It is the season of sewing seeds and cutting harvest. I love it! I am very blessed to have friends that allow me to dig in their gardens, because mine is very limited to planting pots. I was not in my kitchen as much this week because it was so hot and the outside was just calling my name. So I went for meals that were easier to make. There are a lot of recipes out there like this that call for cans of soup to be added. I am a from scratch kinda girl, so this is a healthier version of many of the chicken and rice recipes that are out there. All from scratch and made with wild rice that is better for you than the enriched rice that is out there on the market. 
Enjoy!


Gluten Free Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
adapted from Picky Palate


3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 stalks celery, finely diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 Tablespoons fresh minced garlic
2 Cups shredded, cooked chicken breast
2 Cups cooked WILD black rice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt


Cheese Sauce
4 Tablespoons butter
2 TBSP Maninis Gluten-Free Multipurpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 Cups chicken broth
2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
Top with 1 1/2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese


First thing you need to do is cook your chicken. I sear mine on each side and then add about 1 cup chicken broth. Cover and cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes. After you can take the lid off and shred the chicken with a fork. You can also just use any leftover chicken instead, it just has to be cooked before adding it to this recipe. 


The rice should have cooking instructions on the back. For me it was 1 cup rice to 2 cups broth in my rice cooker. 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat oil into a medium pot over medium heat. Saute onion, celery and carrots until softened, about 10 minutes. 
Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in chicken, both rices, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Reduce heat to low.


Now it is time to make the cheese sauce. Place butter into a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper then slowly pour in chicken broth whisking continuously. Whisk until thick and nearly boiling then stir in cheese until melted. Pour cheese sauce into rice mixture then transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish. 
Top with additional cheddar cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted through. Serve.

Follow Us!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds one delicious recipe. Looking great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to try to use wild rice. This looks like a great side dish! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.