Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Chicken Pilaf

Gluten Free Chicken Pilaf

Bone in Chicken was on sale this week for $0.99 cents a pound at my local Albertson's. So I made this huge meal for next to nothing! I found this recipe to be outstanding. With subtle spices, it gives it almost a middle eastern flair. Leaving the bone in the chicken keeps it moist and tender. 

Because you are going to need your strainer for this recipe....I have a question for all of you... How do you clean your strainer, or sieve? The only way I have found to clean  mine is by finding a bowl or pan larger than the strainer. I fill the pan with hot soapy water. Then I dump it and rinse the strainer fully. 
There has to be a better way, but I can't find one. As I sure you have all experienced...the dishwasher is not an option. All it does is act like the crumb collector in the dishwasher. I am open to all suggestions.

Gluten Free Chicken Pilaf
adapted from One Perfect Bite 
1 pound bone in chicken thighs
Kosher salt
3 cups white basmati rice
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups coconut milk
4 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 cinnamon stick
4 whole cloves
2 cups finely chopped white onion
2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
3 teaspoons freshly ground coriander seed
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup chopped parsley

Peel off skin of the Chicken thighs and rinse. Pat dry and season chicken with salt and pepper.
Return to fridge for 20 minutes. 
Place rice in a large sieve and place inside a large pot. Fill bowl with cold water running water. Drain. Repeat about 10 times.
Pour off rinse water and cover rice with lukewarm tap water. 
Cover rice and let it soak for 20 minutes. Drain rice through a sieve.  
Heat stock and coconut milk in a saucepan over moderately high heat until boiling. 
Heat oil in a large pot set over moderate heat until warmed through. Add cumin, cinnamon and cloves. Cook for about 1 minute, or until the spices are fragrant. 
Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. 
Add ginger, garlic, coriander, turmeric and the bay leaves and drained rice, stirring to coat rice with oil. 
Add seasoned chicken and cook on high heat for 3 minutes. Add hot stock mixture and bring back up to a boil. Season with salt and freshly grated pepper.
Cover and cook over moderate heat until liquid is absorbed absorbed and chicken cooked through, about 15 minutes. Gently fold in parsley. 
 Remove from heat. Cover pot and let pilaf sit for 30 minutes before serving. Fluff with a fork and serve. 
Follow Us:

4 comments:

  1. Oh this looks like a perfectly lovely recipe; can't wait to try it. Happy 4th to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous one pot dinner!! I love a good deal at the grocery store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to try this recipe! It looks so delicious! I think I've actually got all the ingredients, too, so... dinner for tomorrow it is! Thank you so much for sharing this with us :-) Hope you and your family have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.