Monday, July 2, 2012

Vegan Tomato Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette

Tomatoes are in season! I buy them year round anyway, but they are especially good when they are in season where I live. They just seem extra sweet. I try to use them in everything I can. This is on of my all time favorite salads. Serve it on a hot day with a ice cold white wine and it just hits the spot! You can serve it in jars on a picnic, or serve it gourmet style with a nice meal. 

I actually have a tip for you all today. I get asked a lot how I cook so many things and keep the kitchen organized. My trick: Mise en place. If you are not familiar with what Mise en place is, it is used in professional kitchens to refer to organizing and arranging the ingredients that a cook will require for the menu items that he or she expects to prepare during his/her shift. Here is a small picture of how I prepare my Mise En Place. 
I hope this tip helps you in the future too!


Gluten Free Tomato Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette.
Bon Appétit | May 2012


3 tablespoons minced shallots
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
5 ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2" slices
2 tablespoons capers
Freshly ground black pepper
10 fresh medium basil leaves, torn into approx. 1/2" pieces



Combine shallots, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and sugar in a small bowl. 
Gradually whisk in oil to blend. Set vinaigrette aside.

Arrange tomatoes on a large platter. Sprinkle capers over; season with salt and pepper. 



Scatter basil on top. Whisk vinaigrette again; drizzle over salad.

Follow Us:




2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy and fresh!!That is a nice summer appetizer.BTW I m following all your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely salad.... and so beautifully plated. I have a huge bottle of capers in my fridge... I need to incorporate it more into dishes like this. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.