Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Homemade Milky Way

I don't have much of a sweet tooth. You would never know it by the amount of sweets I bake for family, friends and neighbors. I am more of a crunchy salty kind of person. Unless there is chocolate involved. I admit that I am a sucker for anything chocolate. When I was younger I could eat it all day. Now just a few bites and I am in bliss. No need for more. My favorite candy bar? Milky Way. Sugar overload? Yes. But if I am going to splurge, I may as well do it all the way! So I set forth to make homemade milky way bars. It does not get any better than this. Mine may not look as cute as the ones made in a factory, but they taste just as good if not better. 

Gluten-Free Homemade Milky Way Bars
adapted from monster mama

2 cups Semisweet Chocolate Chips
1 8 ounce tub of Cool Whip
2 cups Chocolate Candy Melts
Caramel topping:
6 tbsp brown sugar 
2 tbsp water 
2 tbsp butter 
1/2 tsp salt 



Line baking dish with parchment paper, or waxed paper. 

There are two ways to melt the chocolate. 
1. over a double broiler, add your chocolate chips, stirring until thoroughly melted.
2.In medium bowl, melt choc chips in microwave at 50% power for 30 seconds. 
Stir and return to microwave for 30 more seconds at 50% power. If chocolate is still not melted completely - continue heating it at 10 second intervals at 50% until smooth. 
Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat your melted chocolate for 30 seconds. Add the Cool Whip to melted chocolate and beat just until combined and fluffy -30-60 seconds. 
Spread evenly into prepared pan. Place in freezer for one hour, while you prepare your caramel. 
To prepare caramel add brown sugar, water, butter and salt to a saucepan. Stir constantly over medium high heat until it caramelizes. After your bars have been in the freezer for an hour, take them out temporarily and add the caramel and spread evenly. Then place back in the freezer for 30 minutes. 
Remove from freezer. Carefully remove candy from pan.

Cut into squares or bars.
Return back to freezer, while you melt the candy wafers.

Melt candy wafers in microwave following package directions. I used my mini melter crockpot, but you can use the same methods you used for melting the chocolate chips too. 
Take out frozen bars and pour chocolate over the top.
 Place on baking tray lined with wax paper. Allow chocolate to set up in refrigerator or freezer. Store in airtight container in refrigerator or freezer.
Serve!

Exciting news! You can now pre-order my cookbook via kickstarter! 
Here is an information video that explains in detail the book. 
You can pre-order through kickstarter HERE!
Follow Us:

3 comments:

  1. Oh... this is almost cruel... why..... because you are 3000 miles away and I can't come over and grab a few of them. :) I love these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, boy. I want these and I want them soon!! So, so tempting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.